South Australia is recognised as one of the leaders in the circular economy.
- 84% of the state’s waste is diverted from landfill. A remarkable achievement with more to come.
- 57% of the state’s total energy consumption is met by renewable energy. Completion of current projects will increase this to 75% by 2021.
- 50GL of wastewater and urban storm-water is recycled each year. It is one of the most water-efficient regions in the world.
South Australia’s adoption of an integrated approach to the circular economy has led to quantum economic and environmental benefits for the state. Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, is consistently ranked in the top five most liveable cities in the world.
Green Industries South Australia is a state government agency that is internationally recognised for its work in improving resource efficiency and business productivity and helping South Australians to reduce consumption, waste and costs. This is achieved via:
- long term strategic planning using robust and reliable data and measurements.
- regulation that promotes the circular economy.
- a market focus that uses commercial instruments to enable adoption of the circular economy.
- evidence-based community education and engagement programs.
- the adoption of innovative, commercially viable, robust, fit-for-purpose technology.
- successful partnering between state government, local government and industry.
In alignment with the Green Industries SA mission, partnering with the Global Centre of Excellence is a logical choice.